Curtains are an integral part of any house, and it surely adds some color and element to the interior of the house. So, we should be extremely careful while taking the measurements. If the measurements are not taken properly, then we might end up with curtains that are too short or too long for our doors and windows. Such inaccuracies might totally alter the look of our homes. Hence, we often wonder how to measure for curtains properly for an elegant look. Currently, we spend a lot of money on interior designing, and other related aspects. During such instances, curtains that are of wrong lengths will definitely destroy the whole look. So, we must try to measure the length of the curtains accurately. Though this might sound like a very simple task, a lot of people often tend to make several silly mistakes while taking measurements. A detailed overview regarding the steps that must be followed to take curtain measurements accurately is listed below. By following these steps, you will be able to measure your door and window curtains properly without making any errors.
- Decide the mounting technique
- If you are confused regarding how to measure for curtains properly for an elegant look, then you must know that the first thing that you have to do is to determine the mounting technique.
- Some people might want to mount the curtains outside the window frame. On the other hand, some people would prefer mounting it inside. Both the mounting styles are quite unique and will provide a sophisticated look to the whole room.
- If the curtains are mounted outside, then the rod for the mounting purpose will be secured to the wall that is present outside of the frame of the window.
- Similarly, if the curtains are mounted inside, then the mounting rod will be secured inside the window frame. This helps in creating a streamlined appearance.
- As we can see, both the mounting techniques are different and hence, we must take the measurements accordingly.
- Find out the rod length
- Once we determine the mounting technique, the next thing that we have to do is to find out the length of the curtain rod. In most cases, these rods are extended 3 to 6 inches past the frame of the window.
- We must note that the rods can be installed at different locations, as per our preference. We can install it below, inside, or above the trim mount. The length of the curtain will vary according to the place of installation of the rod.
- Always choose a curtain rod that is at least an inch thick. Such a rod will be strong enough to avoid bowing in the middle.
- How to measure for curtains properly for different styles?
- The next thing that you have to do is to decide the particular interior design style that you want to use for your home. This will help you in deciding the appropriate lengths of the curtains.
- The curtains can be hung in three ways. You can select a particular method depending upon the type of look that you want to achieve.
- If you want the curtains to hang above the sill, then it should be kept one centimeter above the windowsill.
- If you want the curtains to stay below sill, then you must note that your curtains are ending roughly 15 cm below the windowsill.
- You can also go with the style known as floor length. It must be noted that in most cases, the length of the curtains end 1 cm above the floor.
- Take the width measurement
- In case you are curious about how to measure for curtains properly for an elegant look, then you should note that the width measurements must be taken accurately.
- In the majority of the cases, the curtain widths are kept about 1 1/2 to 3 times the actual width of the respective window.
- It must be noted that the fullness chosen will ultimately determine the particular style that you are looking forward to achieving.
- You must note that if your curtains are fuller, then it will instill a richer feel into your windows. On the other hand, if they are shorter in width, then they will not look good, and will provide a tailored look.
- Also keep in mind that the window panels are normally listed as separate items. Hence, you must verify if the curtains come in a pair or not. In case the curtains come separately, then you must always double the curtain panel’s stated width.
- In the case of length, how to measure for curtains properly?
- The length of your curtains mostly depend upon two factors. First is the hanging method, and the second factor is the desired look.
- In order to visualize the curtain measurements, we have to place the measuring tape at the top of the window frame.
- Alternatively, you can keep the tape in the top inside corner of the window. Thereafter, you can measure down to the desired length.
- If you are looking for a higher curtain placement, then you need to measure up from the top of the window frame. This placement will provide an elongated appearance.
We have discussed how to measure for curtains properly for an elegant look. It is appropriate to say that the curtains play a very important role in enhancing the appearance of our living spaces, as well as bedrooms. This home accessory is very important and it provides us numerous benefits. First of all, it provides the much needed privacy. In addition to that, it also helps in blocking the intense sunlight. The presence of good quality curtains will also ensure that you are getting proper sleep. It will also help in enhancing the appearance of the whole window. It is evident that taking measurements for curtains can become difficult sometimes. But, if you follow the steps mentioned above, then you will be able to attain a perfect and elegant look quite easily. This will enhance the look of the whole house!